Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Wow!

The dinosaurs came to town, and we packed up the car and drove to the convention center. "Discover The Dinosaurs" featured replicas of the dinosaurs along with "excellent photo opportunities" and other dinosaur related activities, such as digging for fossils, playing in a dinosaur themed tot area, and paying $13.00 for parking.

Andy was suitably impressed with the convention, exclaiming "Wow!" at various times, mostly when we were inside the parking garage. He smartly pointed out the dinosaurs as we walked through the displays and murmured the word "Dinosaur!" to himself in an almost introspective manner. We let him walk around holding our hands, and he enjoyed the semi-freedom, breaking off into a spirited, stumbly run only eleven or twelve times during the two and a half hours we were there. And, he sidled his way over to a little girl, another toddler, in front of one of the displays and managed to give the girl a tight little squeeze. Hugging strangers in a convention center: heavily frowned upon for adults, somehow okay for one year olds.

The only part that Andy did not enjoy during our visit was the man in the dinosaur costume, the dinosaur mascot. The dinosaur was cartoonish and smiling and friendly, and while the horrifying, seven foot tall replicas of real dinosaurs did not scare Andy for a second (even when we picked him up and aimed his head directly into some of the gaping, sharp-toothed mouths), the happy dinosaur mascot upset him greatly. When we tried to get a picture with one of them, Andy basically had an emotional meltdown, sobbing hysterically as the dinosaur mustered a cheerful thumbs up.

Not that Andy will remember any of this, but if he could only keep one memory from the dinosaur show, I know that would be the one. The bad one. Waiting in line for our tickets, I recalled all of the various events my parents took me and my sister to as children, and the sharpest detail I could recall involved my parents trying to cheat the age requirements on ticket prices, passing a three year old off as a two year old, a seven year old off as a five year old, and, my most embarrassing one, a fifteen year old off as a ten year old.

Really? I know I was kind of a late bloomer, but I was wearing EYELINER. I was carrying an ACT prep booklet. Ten? REALLY? How come the ticket-taker didn't bat an eye? I could almost drive, for crying out loud! I'd had my period FOR YEARS.

Don't get me wrong- I have about ten (maybe fifteen) years ahead of doing the exact same thing with my children. Seeing the dinosaurs and whatnot gets pretty pricey. But, my point is, my memory is not filled with the good times had at various carnivals, museums, etc. It's filled with the embarrassment of my parents trying to save two bucks. I know that Andy's brain will highlight the less attractive moments of each family outing as well, and as far as a fun-filled day at the dinosaur expo goes, the moment that probably stuck with him the longest was being terrified by a purple, plush dinosaur who wanted nothing more than to be his friend- and give us an excellent photo opportunity.

Maybe I should give Andy more credit, though. Perhaps all children are not as sensitive and glass half empty as Young Jackie, who died of embarrassment of cheap parents rather than rejoice in all of the fun (fun-ish) things we did as a family. But, these are the things I have to be prepared for, which is why I write this blog entry. I must remind Andy of all the fun we had before the dinosaur mascot came on the scene. Andrew, remember- you were VERY impressed with the parking garage. LOVED the elevator. And, yes, you even liked the actual event.

Overall, good family day. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment