Thursday, September 18, 2014

Alex, Talking!

Well, it took long enough, but Alex has burst onto the scene with his vocabulary, combining words and making short sentences as if he were Billy Collins, the Poet Laureate with the best poem titles including "Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House," about a neighbor's barking dog, and my all time favorite poem title, "Picnic, Lightning," which really appeals to my particular brand of paranoid neuroses.

This poet would kill your dog if only he had a gun.

Oh, right.  Alex.  Also, the above paragraph is probably the single longest sentence I've ever written, or at least top five.

But I digress, because we're talking about how Alex is suddenly answering questions and making statements like the official poet of the whole goddamn nation.  My worries have been quashed by his sudden linguistics.  His first full sentence came out a couple weeks ago, and it was perfectly poetic.  "Andy popped balloon," he bemoaned, to which an exasperated Andy cried out, "Alex, will you stop talking about that already??!"  Here it was, Alex's first subject-predicate, and Andy was already irritated.

Now Alex is explaining that he wants grilled cheese in his mouth for lunch and that teacher Nina gave him a snack banana.  There are other non-food related items, such as waking up in soaked pajamas and needing two mints, one of which will be for Andy.  I'm going to pretend the mint request is non-food otherwise I'm forced to admit that half of Alex's caloric intake these days come from Altoids.

And so I'm not terribly worried about Alex anymore, at least not in terms of his ability to communicate.  There are other issues on my mind though, such as the fact that he seems to be done with napping, his clumsiness is bound to send him AGAIN to the emergency room sometime soon, and when I kiss and cuddle him and ask him who he loves, his answer is not me, Mommy.  It's Andy. Alex loves Andy best despite the fact that Mommy supplies all of his basic necessities for living and Daddy lets him stay up late.  The little goofball chooses Andy- the one who popped his balloon.

No comments:

Post a Comment