Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Worried About My Andy-Doodle!

Something's going on with Andy.

His day care teachers have said that he wakes up from his nap screaming and crying on a daily basis. He's having terrors, and he's obviously freaked out. He's been extra clingy lately, and when I went to pick him up yesterday, he was sitting on his day care teacher's lap, sucking on his binky, with a single tear rolling down his cheek. When he saw me, he ran right over, and then in the car, all he wanted to do was clutch his security blanky. At home, he doesn't want me out of his sight, but, at the same time, when he grows frustrated with me (What do you mean I can't climb over the couch and stand on the side table, Mom?), his solution is to hit or bite me. And when I scold him for his behavior and act angry or disappointed with him, he panics and climbs into my lap and hugs me.

What is all this? Separation anxiety? Severe emotional distress? Toddler depression? And how do I deal?

I wonder if something's going on at day care. I don't doubt the capabilities of the day care, but when your kid is away from you over 40 hours per week, it's quite possible that there are things going on of which I am totally oblivious. Or maybe that's just it- perhaps Andy's at a stage where the 40 hours away from his parents is too difficult. He's been at the day care for well over a year, though, since he was four months old. Sooo- if that's the case, then why now?

I'm not a great detective, unless we're talking Encyclopedia Brown stuff, in which case I'm a totally awesome detective. But figuring out these parental mysteries is not one of my strong suits, I'm sad to admit. Toddlers are intriguing creatures, though, and they don't have the language skills to simply tell us what's wrong. If so, perhaps I'd be amazed at what the solution to this problem is.

Mom, I miss you during the day.
Mom, Bobby and I had a fight at day care, and it's really getting me down.
Mom, I can't tell you how much I loathe that "Wheels On The Bus" song.
Mom, I'm embarrassed about my hair cut. Will you please stop cutting it yourself?
Mom, I can't help but worry about Illinois' economy and whether or not this "temporary" tax increase is here forever.
Mom, my cot at day care smells strangely like feet, and not in a good way.

I can't wait until Andy learns to construct sentences. Until then, though, I'm stuck figuring out what's got my little guy down using only my maternal instinct, which has occasionally led me astray. It took me MONTHS to figure out that Andy was using sign language to tell me he wanted "more." And I didn't even actually figure it out- my neighbor noticed and pointed it out. All that time, Andy wanted more, and I just assumed he was trying to clap and failing miserably.

I hope this is all a normal, toddler phase and that Andy starts to feel better. We have a doctor's appointment this weekend, so I may bring this up along with my other concern: tooth brushing. Andy's teeth just don't get brushed. Lately, he's been seeing the toothbrush and covering his mouth. I mean, really, what I am supposed to do with that? Andy, your teeth are going to fall out and your breath stinks like milk and bananas. And, no, not in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment