Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Andy's Wedding!

There are some moments in life that feel like memories even before you're done actually living through them.  They get crystallized and stored away into the folds of your brain while they're happening.  It's almost like you get robbed of the actual experience, because it's already over and done with while it's occurring, and you can clearly hear an older version of yourself talking about it somewhere down the road.  In this instance, I am an old lady in the home (not MY home, but THE home), and my grandson Andy Junior is sitting before me trying to mask his boredom while I drone on and on about how his father was such a cute ring bearer at Andy Junior's Great-Aunt Beth's wedding.  "And he was just so darling in his tuxedo," I'm telling Andy Junior.  "Even if he did spill soup all over it during dinner."

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see Andy's full journey down the aisle, because I was tucked into my row at the church and there were too many people blocking my view.  Aside from that, Andy is two, and short.  But, when I did finally get a glimpse of my little boy, he was holding the hand of his stoic co-ring bearer and basically pulling him forward.  And the look on his face- pure Andy.  Excited, semi-alarmed, looking for Mommy, thinking about pancakes.


And, despite what you may have heard, Andy did a good job at church and at the reception.  Rambunctious?  Sure.  Outside voice indoors?  Yeah, maybe.  Not able to sit still?  Well, he's two.  Running around like a crazy person until 10:30 at night and partying like it was 1999?  Well, they do say two thousand zero zero, party over, oops, out of time.  So, there you have it.

I know it was not MY child getting married, so who am I to feel this way, but I'm all too cognizant of how quickly time is starting to go by.  I know Andy's only two and Alex is still an infant, but there are some days when the moments feel so fleeting and I feel like I'm losing them before I even really have them.  Andy is already such a little man.  I watch him navigate the world around him and interact with other children, and my heart breaks a little as I see the tiniest slivers of innocence get peeled away.  No, Andy, not every kid will want to be your friend.  No, Andy, not every piece of candy is for you.  And, no, Andy, other families do not want you in their pictures.  So, if you see a camera, don't just automatically jump in the shot and say "Cheeeeese."


And, Alex, most likely my last baby- can I please just keep you at this snuggly,  cooing, gummy smile age forever?

Anyway, now I'm just getting melancholy for no good reason when I should be rejoicing in the wonderfulness of the here and now.  That's always been a problem for me, just being and enjoying the present.  I hope that's not a trait my kids will inherit from me.  Because if you're running around the wedding reception giggling like a lunatic and just having the time of your life- then, Andy, own it and enjoy it.  But please do have a little more soup, because your mother fears that your blood sugar may be dropping.

No comments:

Post a Comment